Last year (I love saying this a day or two into the new year) a couple of the loveliest bloggers in South Africa signed up for a blogger gift swap over the 12 days leading up to Christmas in an attempt to bring us closer together, make new friends, and well…gifts.
Just incase you don’t know what I’m talking about – read all about it HERE – but we were all assigned another blogger/influencer to get to know and send 12 gifts to in the spirit of Christmas and spreading kindness.
I was lucky enough to receive a bag full of gifts from the sweetest woman, mom and all-round beautiful new friend, Lia from @auggie.and.issy and blogger over at A Mom’s View. I enjoyed stalking her accounts a little, and chatted to her for reals before I opened my first few gifts. We always kind of buy gifts for someone that we actually like ourselves (because why would be buy something we don’t like?!) and although I truly loved and super-appreciated all the gifts I received, it was really fun for me to see Lia and her personality come through with what she gifted me with.
Here are my 12 days, my 12 gifts, and my 12 responses on the gifts I received!
As I was uploading my gifts pictures, I realized I accidentally deleted some images… Soooo…. Although I no longer have the reveal of gift 5, it was a friend plant to gift 4. And the photo (and video!) I took of gift 6, is also missing…but great news; this is what was in gift 6: Wooden letters that spell out my blog name!
It was so awesome to learn more about the woman behind my gifts and the blog, A Mom’s View. I asked her a couple of cool and random questions, so you can get to know this amazing mom and wife and daughter and friend and dreamer as well!
Questions to Lia
1. How did you decide on your blog’s name, A Mom’s View?
I’m a big believer of “things happen for a reason” The name of my blog came after I’ve written a couple of posts. As I was writing, it just came to me; I am a mother, I have my own views and opinions, and I’ve created a space where I can just let it all out. Granted, my blog is not very busy at the moment and I haven’t written in a couple of months but hopefully in the new year, that will change.
2. Tell me a bit about yourself as a little girl, growing up.
As a little girl, I’ve always wanted to be a dancer. I loved music and I loved moving to it. Thankfully my mother did everything in her power to help me achieve that. I started out with ballet, did that for a coupe of years and realised I needed something with a little less “rules” and “structure”. Don’t get me wrong – I still love ballet and I have a really big appreciation for the art. So I took contemporary dancing classes and continued all through high school. I started my teachers grade and will one day go back and finish it.
3. What blog post are you most proud of, and why.
The blog post I’m most proud of, is the first one I’ve ever written on as a guest blogger. It was the first time that I have ever spoken out about what I felt the day I found out I was pregnant with my oldest (not even 21 yet!). I realised I had a love for writing, which is probably why my husband and I work so well together. He’s a writer too.
4. If you had a weekend off – no hubby, no kids – and money was no option, where would you go and what would you do?
I’ve always wanted to go to Bali. I’d hire a scooter explore the islands, and drink copious amounts of cocktails. 🙂
5. What does your children’s names mean? And you decide on each of them?
My kids names have their own meaning. We don’t attach the meaning to their personality, although Isobelle means “God is my oath” and August means “to increase”. One day we were sitting on the couch, watching August Rush and I fell in love. We had other ideas as well, but when I saw my son for the first time I knew he was August and the same with my daughter.
6. Would you rather have skin that changes color based on your emotions or tattoos appear all over your body depicting what you did yesterday?
I love tattoos, I ave a couple my self so definitely tattoos. it will also give me the motivation to do more good.
7. Do you have a family tradition or things you guys do as a family that is unique to your family only?
We don’t really have family traditions yet, although we spend the 25th of December being together as a family. It’s a special time for us and the kids, and we don’t spend it in huge family gatherings. We lounge around in pjs, watch movies, and Ward has a bird in the oven. I am excited, though, to create more traditions as soon as the kids are a bit older and have some input.
8. TV Series – comedy or drama? And name your top 3!
Comedy definitely! Big bang theory, and Friends. I love reality tv as well. Too much to mention!
9. Favourite quote, or something you say all the time.
My favorite quote of all time is by the AMAZING Jimi Hendrix – “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” I’m sorry, but how freaking true is that? Seriously. Just, oh my gosh.
10. Which other bloggers do you follow and read quite regularly?
I have so many and I’m so blessed to have been able to become friends. Cisca – Its a moms life, Mari-Louise from Just a Mamma, Leigh – themomdiaries, Angela from Our Sunshine Journey, Shante Hutton and Cath Cath_Beth
11. If you met yourself for the first time, what quality would you hope someone remembers or stands out?
Oh wow, that I’m friendly and really easy to talk to, I guess?
12. Do you know the 5 Love Languages? What do you believe is your primary love language?
I’m definitely a “physical touch” person.
13. What is the craziest thing you’ve done?
I’m generally shy person, but one night a couple of years ago, while still in Canada, we went to a bar in Toronto that has karaoke. After having 1 beer too many, I found myself rocking out and pleasuring the crowd in my very flat voice with my own rendition of “I need a hero” by Bonnie Tyler. My friend still has the video that I refuse to watch.
14. If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?
Skinny love. My favorite version of this song is by Birdie, but you will find it on Ed Sheeran’s list as well.
15. Would you rather never use social media sites/apps again or never watch another movie or TV show?
Definitely never use social media apps again. I love my movies and series and I’d rather give up insta or fb than give up new episodes of Elementary, The Crown or Big Bang Theory.
16. Tell me something I would never guess about you.
I always have a craving for sushi. 🤣
17. What attracted you to your husband in the beginning?
His sense of humor. No matter how bad my day, at the end he will always have me belly hurt laugh laughing.
18. What is something weird you encourage everyone to try at least once?
Oh gosh. Skinny dipping. It’s just different than with a costume… shhhhhh!!!
19. What personality trait has gotten you into trouble most often?
I Keep things to myself. Especially my feelings and that has gotten in the way my entire life.
20. Look in your handbag and list the current contents thereof. (no cheating!)
Wallet, hotwheels car, 2 diapers, car keys, tampon, sudocreme, 2 dummies, loose coins and lipbalm!
Hope you all have a fantastic start to the New Year and enjoyed your Christmas time as much as we did. We can’t wait to share more of our our lives in this next year, and hope to experience some of yours as well.